Sunday, September 7, 2014

Fated to love you ~2014 Korean drama ~ Final Verdict


I thought I'd write a few words on what I thought about the whole drama for those who want to read a little bit before starting the show. This is a spoiler free post so fear not. 

I started this show one boring summer day because all my shows had ended for the summer and I'd nothing to watch. I was immediately hooked after just 2 episodes and as the show progressed I got madly in love with it. I can say that this show has become my all time favorite k-drama. I Ioved each and every minute of it there was never a single episode where I felt disappointed or didn't feel satisfied. 

This is the first time ever where I not only loved the main characters but the second leads and secondary characters too. The characters of Lee Gun and Kim Mi-young are so well crafted and so well portrayed that I am in awe. The credits for the hard work go the directors and the actors Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa. 

The best thing about the characters was that they remained consistent throughout the whole show. There was a time I felt that now this character will take a 180 degree turn and will do something completely out of character but I was proved wrong time and again. For example they showed Lee Gun as a man who helped Mi-young in Macau. Who was very sweet to her even though she was a stranger. And he remained like that even after their shotgun wedding. They had their bad times later in the episodes but I don't remember a time when he was actually really mean and rude to her. I liked how they remained true to his character.

 Same goes for Mi-young she was shown as a person who is too kind and weak to stand up for herself. Now I really hate these kind of characters but Mi-young was not the kind you would hate. She was not STUPID she was just very timid. 
All the times she was hurt or sad you would actually feel for her. You would just want to scoop her in a hug and take away the pain. After they did her transformation I thought that with new look she would lose all her personality but thank the k drama Gods that it didn't happen like that. All my fears dissappeared when I saw in episode 13 that Kim Mi-young is still the kind self she was before but has grown more confident and mature. Her real maturity showed when she rejects Daniel's proposal. Again I was fearing that she will accept his proposal because in the original she does become his girlfriend but I was proved wrong once again.

 The second leads Daniel and SeRa were so good that you couldn't help but feel for them when they were in pain and you couldn't help but feel happy for them in their happiness. I think I've never loved a second lead as much as I loved these both. I did feel that SeRa had a lot less screen time, she was practically non existent in the first half. On the other hand I was so fucking glad that she didn't turned out to be a evil witch like aana in the original. 
Same goes for Daniel. I was waiting for the time when I would be annoyed by him but that time never came. Other characters like Halmoni, Ssambop lady, secretary tak, Yong, stepmother, lawyer, hamo hamo duo and even the triplets sisters were so fun to watch. The character that slightly annoyed me would be Mi-ja. I found her a bit selfish. I hated how she from being the biggest cheerleader of Gun went totally against him when Daniel came in the picture and then all of a sudden she forgets Daniel and is giving a housewarming party to Gun and Mi-young. Lol okay 

I was completely unaware of the explosive chemistry that people claimed they; Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa had in the successful story of a bright girl but after watching them together here I will say that people were justified in going crazy over them then. If you looking for show where the lead couple would just give you feels by standing next to each other then this is the show for you. The chemistry between them in this show is off the charts they not only communicate with dialogues but they communicate with their eyes and gestures as well. They go so well with each other and they have set the bar so high that it will be difficult for me to find a couple which is this good. Good thing I've yet to see successful story of a bright girl. 
I would really like thank Jang Hyuk and Jang NaRa for putting a life into these characters. I can never imagine anyone else playing the role of Lee Gun and Kim Mi-young as good as they have done. Kudos to them and a big applause. 
I also liked the fact that this show was not draggy at all. All the things were solved at the right time. And it also had the perfect ending I've seen in a k drama. Not that abrupt 5 minutes ending you usually get. Instead the writers took their time in giving our OTP their perfectly happily ever after. The show could have ended the at episode 19 but the writers gave us a perfect epilogue in episode 20. A complete closure.
 Lastly I would just say that if you are looking for a Rom com that is actually a Rom com and not a melodrama then this show is for you. If you looking for a show which has mind blowing chemistry between the leads, a perfect romance and humour with the right amount of angst, kisses that are actually kisses, plot devices that actually make sense, good dialogue, wonderful OST, perfect second leads, lots of bromance, a show that is actually better than the original then this show is for you. I hope you all give it a chance. Its too good to miss out. I had such a fun time writing reviews and watching it live with the other fated fanatics.

1 comment:

  1. finally! someone who is a Turkish AND Korean drama fan!

    ReplyDelete