Sunday, April 20, 2014

That beauty is a trade and everyone is paid

Every year people here in karachi wait anxiously for spring to arrive not because they love flowers blooming, trees going green, weather turning pleasent and birds chriping, Nope. The people eagerly wait for spring because spring means "lawn season". All people including women, children and adults and even men go completely crazy when popular designer (shall i say designer? .. i don't know) like gul ahmed, khaadi, nishat etc issue their catalouges.
First they dissect each and every page of the magazine and when its officially launched they leave everything right then and there and with magazines in their hands they run for the shops to buy their favorite piece before that piece is sold, Yes that actually happens the lawn is so much in demand that if you don't go quick you may not be able to buy your favorite piece.



And every year i dread this lawn season because lawn season means endless tiring hours in shopping centers trying to find that perfect dress, that hidden gem. I could write few blog post during that time, watch a movie or tv show or read a  book. Seriously, why does it matter when all you are going to do is wear it for is 2.5 months of summer season. I don't understand. Don't get me wrong i love looking pretty, buying pretty dresses and getting dressed up but i am definitely not one of those who would egerly wait for the lawn season to arrive, going to shopping for lawn is not in my top priorities. I would go at my own convenience or wait! who am i kidding, if i had my way i would not go at all i would just ask my mum to buy it from me.




But my mum takes me with her as her shopping partner and i feel really sorry for her because i am the last person you would want to go to (lawn) shopping with.


Yestarday i went with my mum to get a look at this years collection and maybe buy something as well and as soon as i reached the shop i knew i would regret it and by the look on my mum's face i knew she was not happy either. The shop was jam packed, there was not a place to stand let alone buy anything. For a few minutes we were just trying how to get through the crowd to at least take a glinpse at the collection, well my mum was doing all the hard work and i was just there trying to protect myself from getting hurt, yeah there was definitely lots of pulling and pushing. It seemed like i had been thrown into the hunger games and i had to fight for my survival.


The women and men had the magazines with them and they would just tell the shopkeeper the design and he would give them that, already packed. They would not even take a look, i guess that is benefit of return and exchange poilicy that that shop had. And like this they would buy not 1 or 2 but 4 or 5 dresses at one go and while i would just look at them with my mouth literally hanging open,
I mean each dress was either 5,000 or more. It was diffiult for me take all that in because to be quite honest spending 20,25k on just lawn is too much but i guess people have their obsessions. Like mine are books, but still i would never spend that much money on books in one sitting either. My poor mum on the other hand didn't even bring the catalogue because she thought that the shop would have it. Really mum? really?
 With so much rush the shopkeepers had hardly any time to attend all the customers and the customers there would not even share their magazine either (How rude)
So while my mum was looking at the collection on the display I was enjoying the good music that was playing there. Yes the music was the only good thing.
Many times my mum would ask my opinion on the dresses and i would just reply with "yeah that's good" and "no its okay" And really I am just as hopeless as a person who doesn’t know how to swim and is thrown in the water.
Eventually in the end my mum did end up buying 2 dresses for herself which I was really glad of because on the first day my mum only does window shopping which means more trips to the shop and honestly the sooner you get done with it the better. I tried to give my best opinions to her even though I have little knowledge on this subject and zero interest but like a good daughter I am, I not only accompanied my mum but tried to help her chose as well.

And when finally my mum was done I was all ready and happy to leave and while I was leaving and with the women still trying to get shopkeepers attention, literally fighting to get that last piece. I remembered those times when I was young and  everyone used to go to uzma display centre and gulf for lawn shopping not to ideas and khaadi’s and each suite didn’t use to cost 5,000 either and moreover lawn shopping didn’t use to be so tiresome *sigh* those were the days

No comments:

Post a Comment